List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Gnome/KDE resources
From:       Rob Benton <rob.benton () conwaycorp ! net>
Date:       2006-04-26 16:59:49

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 15:43 -0700, Bill Thompson wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:01:39 -0700
>>Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> wrote:
>>

> [snip]
>
>>I just switched to KDE from Gnome on Sid. In my subjective opinion,
>>Gnome 2.14 runs much faster and with less resources than KDE 5.4.
>>
>>However, KDE appears to have more usage and configuration options which
>>may make the resource use worthwhile to you.
>

> And yes, GNOME Terminal is an outrageous pig.  So I use rxvt.  Nice
> and small and does what's needed.

I definitely agree with that.  Just my personal opinion is that I like
Gtk better than Qt if only for visual appearance.  It's also easier to
theme which is why there are many more Gtk themes.  I like Epiphany much
better than Konqueror for web browsing but for file management I prefer
Konqueror over Nautilus.

The thing about KDE that I've never been a big fan of is their DCOP
system.  It takes time to get those processes started.  That's not such
a big deal if you use KDE as your environment because that's loaded once
on startup.  But if you use Gnome and want to run a KDE application you
have to wait for DCOP which annoys me.