List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: sound issue
From:       Andrew Sackville-West <andrew () farwestbilliards ! com>
Date:       2006-02-23 3:52:55

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:20:20 -0500
Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:

> Hello.  On a Sarge machine with 2.4.27-2-686 kernel on a Pentium II
> machine, I'm having problems with sound.  I'm using alsa, with the
> modules installed.  I've run alsaconf, and have enabled sound for gnome
> applications (gnometris, music player, etc).  This works fine, until I
> try to run a kde program (ie, kolf, or kbattleship), at which point the
> machine balks, and tells me that the device is not found, and that it is
> switching to the "null output" device instead.  Then, I need to run
> alsaconf again, to get sound back to general programs (the internet,
> doom, defendguin).  The gnome programs continue to have sound, but the
> kde programs are then silent.  If I disable the gnome sound daemon, then
> both kde and general programs have sound, whereas gnome programs do
> not.  I find this irritating, and just want sound to come from all the
> programs (without worry).  I tried upgrading to the 2.6.8 kernel image,
> but I was unable to load modules for the sb-awe64 soundcard (I even
> tried alsa-source, via module-assistant, but it failed to load the modules).
> Any suggestions for how I can get sound working consistently on all the
> programs?

I'm no sound guru, but there are a couple of things that may help you. 1) both gnome \
and kde use different sound daemons and they're probably conflicting with each other. \
There should be a way to set these things to just use alsa. 2) your alsa setup may \
need to be setup for software mixing. google "alsa dmixer" and you should get \
something to help you there. probably what is happening is the gnome sound daemon is \
taking over your soundcard and nothing else can get at it. I'm pretty sure the gconf \
editor has a setting to use alsasink instead of esound. look under g-streamer \
settings.  sorry its vague, but hth.