List:       debian-user
Subject:    aptitude --with-recommends
From:       "Michael Haak" <mhaak () learningcommunity202 ! org>
Date:       2005-05-31 15:19:20

I also understood the documentation to mean that the --with-recommends
option of aptitude would install any new recommended packages, but I
couldn't get it to work that way either.  As a workaround, after the
command to upgrade, I run three more:

aptitude -y -d install '(!~i)~Rrecommends:((~i)(~Brecommends))'
aptitude -y markauto '(!~i)~Rrecommends:((~i)(~Brecommends))'
aptitude -y install

The first one only downloads the uninstalled packages that are
recommended by installed packages with unsatisfied recommendations.
Since they're not installed yet, I can still use the same expression to
mark them all automatically installed in the second command.  The final
command finishes up by actually doing the installation.

Hope this helps.
Mike