I am no xinetd guru, but if I were to guess I'd say there's something wrong with the "user=nobody" line. If the telnet daemon starts as nobody, it won't be able to gain the permissions of the user that wants to login. $ ls -l /usr/lib/telnetlogin -rwsr-xr-- 1 root telnetd 5736 Apr 6 2002 /usr/ lib/telnetlogin It looks like the user should be someone in the telnetd group. Try "user=telnetd", and make sure that the user telnetd is in the telnetd group. $ adduser telnetd telnetd Cheers, Shaun On Sat June 26, 2004 19h07, Scott wrote: > Greetings: > > I'm having a hard time with telnet on my debian woody box. > Network is fine, I can SSh to the box but I have a need to be > able to turn on telnet when necessary. I can't get it to > work to save me. I use xinetd, and I have telnet configured > in it's .conf as follows: > > service telnet > { > flags = NAMEINARGS > socket_type = stream > protocol = tcp > wait = no > user = nobody > server = /usr/sbin/tcpd > server_args = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd > disable = no > } > > I have verified the programs listed in xinetd.conf above are > in the path. I see an error in syslog that says: > > in.telnetd[435]: connect from 10.10.10.30 > telnetd[436]: /usr/lib/telnetlogin: Permission denied > > I searched google and a post suggested a screwed up > telnetlogin, so I tried running it at the command prompt. No > core dump as others had, mine just logs in like it's supposed > to. > > The source telnet IP's are in /etc/hosts.allow, and not in > .deny, just like the ssh entries and again, ssh is working > from the same source IP's. > > I've fiddled with xinetd.conf and bounced it using kill -USR2 > [pid]. I see it reload in the syslog, no errors. > > Can someone help me get telnet working? I don' tknow what > else to try. > > Thanks for the time to help, > Scott -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org