List:       debian-user
Subject:    Help - kernel panic
From:       Stephen Liu <satimis () icare ! com ! hk>
Date:       2004-03-17 10:09:04

Hi folks,

 Debian - unstable

 The PC has not been used for couple weeks. On booting it went 'kernel panic'
with following warning;
 modprobe : modprobe: can't locate module block-major-3
 mount: dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
 mount: you must specify the filesystem type
 pivot_root: No such file or directory
 /sbin/init: 217: cannot open dev/console: No such file
 Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init

 Kindly advise how to fix the problem

 Remark: I have a Debian boot disc but I am sure whether it was prepared for
this PC or another PC which was also running Debian (unstable). The latter
has been erased. In case the boot disc is not working can I have it
downloaded from Debian website?

 TIA

 B.R.
 Stephen Liu