List:       debian-user
Subject:    Tom Ballard, MSFT shill (was Re: Debian Server Compromise -- A Fire Drill ??)
From:       "Karsten M. Self" <kmself () ix ! netcom ! com>
Date:       2003-12-08 7:25:33

on Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 06:29:30PM -0800, Tom Ballard, former Microsoft employee, \
(tb.31123.nospam@comcast.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 06:19:45PM -0800, Tom Ballard, former
> Microsoft employee, wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 05:31:12PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > >
> > > IIRC, it was a prior nonproductive thread with "Tom" which pointed out
> > > seeding and metrics as a way of estimating such bug counts.
> >
> > So how many are there?
>
> One thing I've noticed is that people tend to act with derision at
> things which under the surface they feel uncomfortable about.  If not,
> they ignore it or respond neutrally.

Mr. Ballard:

No, it's not that I'm uncomfortable over the fact, yes, fact, that free
software in general, or the Linux kernel in particular, have both bugs
and security vulnerabilities.

It's your grossly ignorant, yet simultaneously cocksure and self-assured
statements.  Many false, but with a thin thread of truth permeating, as
well as your incessant posts, which are annoying.

If someone tells me "it's a sunny day and the earth is flat", the fact
that they're right that it's a sunny day doesn't make the earth any less
round.  Nor does repeating the statement endlessly.

Your post here is one in point.  I don't expect you to see, acknowledge,
or understand this point, so I'm making it for the masochists following
this thread:

    There are bugs in the kernel code.  Estimates of such bug counts can
    be made.  And again I pointed out several texts, most from the
    bibliography of _Code Complete_, which point out the statistical
    basis on which an increasing or decreasing bug count can provide
    some level of assurance, of how many such bugs there are.

I don't know what it is that you are _trying_ to prove.  What you've
_succeeded_ in proving is that you're grossly out of your depth, a
source of misinformation, unwilling to acknowledge errors, more
concerned about defending a nonexistant image than either teaching or
learning, and impossible to converse with.  As such, I'm largely doing
what I'd advise others to do:  point out the misinformation in your
posts, and move on, with minimal wasted time.

Peace.

    Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
    - Princess Bride