List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: desktop
From:       "Matthew Weier O'Phinney" <matthew () weierophinney ! net>
Date:       2002-10-10 14:41:03

-- mollie k parkerson <molliek@nlamerica.com> wrote
(on Thursday, 10 October 2002, 10:18 AM -0400):
> I have installed Debian 2.2. I am now learning the line commands,and command
> manual. In my search I have yet to find how to open the desktop.
>
> I feel at this time I would be more comfortable operation from the desktop .
>
> Can someone send me info are direct me to info on how to open the linux desktop
First, make sure you've installed the X Window system and appropriate X
server (I /believe/ that doing an 'apt-get install x-window-system' will
do this for you). Next, you'll need to install a desktop environment --
since you're new to this, I'd suggest either KDE or GNOME (do an
'apt-cache search ^kde' or 'apt-cache search ^gnome' to get a list of
packages). Then, once these are installed, choose to either have debian
boot into the command-line, or to have it boot into a session manager
such as gdm, xdm, or kdm. If you do the former, you will /always/ boot
into a desktop environment; if you do the latter, you'll need to type
'startx' from the command line to start your desktop environment.

If you need more help than this, go to http://tldp.org/ and look for the
appropriate HOWTOs.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney