List:       debian-user
Subject:    LILO problem in Woody
From:       David Grant <david.grant () telus ! net>
Date:       2002-08-17 0:01:39

Hi,

I just installed Woody from a minimal CD, and did a network install from
stable.

The first part of the install went perfectly, and Debian booted itself
into LILO with no problem.  I selected the partition with Debian on it,
and then Debian did some more setup, including installing some packages
using tasksel.

But then when I rebooted my computer, LILO didn't want to run this time.
 It just said: LI.  I tried rebooting again, same thing.

I have PowerQuest BootMagic in the MBR (/dev/hda) and that re-directs to
Windows, Mandrake LILO, or LILO in my Debian / partition on /dev/hda8

Why would it work the first time and then stop working the next time?
 The only thing I can think is that the /boot area of /dev/hda8 got
messed up somehow, or one of the packages that Debian installed screwed
around with lilo.conf.  If anyone has any idea of the what the problem
is, please let me know.  If you can also give me some basic instructions
on how to get in there and look at /etc/lilo.conf that would be great too.

If I install lilo to /dev/hda (MBR) will that fix my problems?  If LILO
is in /dev/hda will it be able to re-direct to my Mandrake LILO (in
/dev/hda6).

Thanks,
David Grant
cc: to david.grant@telus.net if possible.  thanks