List:       debian-security
Subject:    RE: failed ssh breakins on my exposed www box ..
From:       "Howland, Curtis" <howlandc () kvh ! co ! jp>
Date:       2002-03-27 0:33:58

I'm impressed. Even here in Tokyo, where "a cop on ever street corner" is not just an \
Orwellian slur, the only people who get that kind of service are the ones who \
directly pay their salaries.

Seriously, the only person you can rely on is you. You're the one on the scene, be it \
a mugging or a cracking. If you don't defend yourself, your property or your data, no \
one else will.

Going to court is a difficult process. As England is learning right now, so long as \
the attacker thinks you cannot endanger them they will continue their attacks and \
even escalate. Script kiddies are no different, they are emboldened by their \
successes.

So unless someone actively hurts these malicious crackers, it's only going to get \
worse. "We" need to make sure that when someone gives us enough evidence to "prove" \
their guilt, that they get prosecuted. No, I don't know enough to gather that \
evidence, but I know there are people who can and do.

I saw a really funny site (linked from Slashdot, no idea how to find it now) where a \
spammer was white-hat hacked. This guy posted the spammers names, addresses, \
telephone numbers, advertising solicitation materials, photographs... who knows if it \
didn't increase their business? Exposure is exposure, after all.

Curt-