List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: Corel's distro and the GPL
From:       John Goerzen <jgoerzen () complete ! org>
Date:       2000-04-16 3:33:19

Interesting discussion.  Wichert has posted the location of Corel's
sources, which to the casual observer (me) appear to be valid.

However, what you are saying is that since they are on a different
site or not "right next" to the binaries, this could potentially
violate the GPL?

I am wondering if you might consider addressing this situation in
GPLv3, since to me it appears to be an area of vagueness in GPLv2.
Ie: Just what exactly is "right next" to something, why does it matter
if the files are on separate file servers?  But more importantly, does
the GPL explicitly require this?

I'm not asking these questions for rhetorical effect; I am generally
curious what the answer is since it seems to follow in a non-obvious
fashion from the GPL.

John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |