List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Epoch bump for bcachefs-tools
From:       Jonathan Carter <jcc () debian ! org>
Date:       2024-04-26 13:57:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

Hi Debian Developers

In January, bcachefs[1] finally made it into the mainline Linux kernel
as an experimental filesystem in to Linux 6.7

In 2022 something odd happened and the versions releases were 23 and 24
(previously we had alpha versions in Debian that were just git
snapshots) before reverting to 1.x.x release tags.

We released those higher numbers in Debian, which means that the current
version in Debian, bcachefs-tools 1.7.0, has the upstream version number
of 24~really1.7.0.

Since it's a filesystem (and experimental one at that), where the
version number is quite important for both tools and humans alike (who
might not understand the version number currently in use), I think it
would be justified to bump the epoch of this package.

I'm mailing debian-devel before commiting such an epoch bump, as per our
versioning policy[2].

Yesterday I made an upload with the 1.7.0 version to experimental, this
version uses significantly more rust code compared to the old versions.
If it doesn't manifest any major issues, I'd like to upload it to
unstable along with the epoch bump.

-Jonathan

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bcachefs
[2] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#version

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]