List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: On merging bin and sbin
From:       Gioele Barabucci <gioele () svario ! it>
Date:       2024-02-28 21:27:14

On 28/02/24 19:08, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 08:47:48AM -0600, rhys@neoquasar.org wrote:
> > > From: Gioele Barabucci <gioele@svario.it>
> > >
> > > This is a quick'n'dirty list of binaries present in both /bin and /sbin:
> > >
> > > arping bin net/iputils-arping sbin net/arping (+ Conflicts:)
> >
> > Are any of these (like arping) literally duplicates of the same binary for some \
> > reason? Or are they true conflicts (different binaries with the same name)?
>
> I don't know about many of the others (although I have my suspicions), but
> the two programs that just happen to both be called arping are not
> the same at all: they have different functionality, conflicting
> command-line options, etc.

And that is one of issues.

Without looking, could you say which package installs `arping` in /bin
and make it available for non-root users?

Policy also has a couple of things to say. For example
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#binaries

> Two different packages must not install programs with different
> functionality but with the same filenames
That can (should?) be interpreted as "no same basename". Otherwise root
will face and ambiguous choice between the one in /bin and the one in /sbin.

In any case, many of these clashes are known. This is why some of these
packages declare Conflicts: with each other. However...

> Be aware that adding Conflicts is normally not the best solution when
> two packages provide the same files. Depending on the reason for that
> conflict, using alternatives or renaming the files is often a better
> approach.
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#conflicting-binary-packages-conflicts

Regards,

--