List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: debian/copyright format and SPDX
From:       Steve Langasek <vorlon () debian ! org>
Date:       2023-09-25 5:14:35

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 12:58:10PM +0200, Stephan Lachnit wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 11:11 AM Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > SPDX defines an xml format only.  They lost before they'd even started.

> > debian/copyright is supposed to be human-readable first and foremost.  XML
> > need not apply.

> Not true. From [1]:

> > Shall be in a human readable form.
> > [...]
> > Multiple serialization formats may be used to represent the information being \
> > exchanged. Current supported formats include: [...]
> > tag:value flat text file as described in this specification

So can you tell me where in that specification this "flat text file" format
is actually described?  The specification is not on the page that includes
this quote.  The text does not link to the place in the spec where this
format is described.  The site's search page (because it's reasonable for a
spec to require a server-side search engine in order for users to be able to
find information in it...) doesn't return any results for the string
'tag:value', and a search for 'tag value' points first to
https://spdx.github.io/spdx-spec/v2.3/file-tags/ which
describes embedding tags in a source file, not constructing a tag:value
file.

Frankly, the fact that the SPDX spec itself is as bad as it is should be
disqualifying for using any file format specified within.  But I would still
be willing to give it a fair shake, if I could actually find it.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/