List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: autodep8 test for C/C++ header
From:       Sune Vuorela <nospam () vuorela ! dk>
Date:       2023-08-08 6:46:38

On 2023-08-07, Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org> wrote:
> while working a whole week on fixing failing C/C++ header compilations
> for armhf time_t [1], I noticed a common pattern: The library -dev
> packages was missing one or more dependencies on another -dev package.
> Over 200 -dev packages are affected.

I don't think this is a important problem that some headers might have
special conditions for use. I'd rather have our developers spend time
fixing other issues than satisfying this script.

Is it a problem that Qt -dev packages also ships windows, mac or android
specific addons headers? I don't think so. Rather the opposite. When
doing cross platform work, it is nice that grepping across the includes,
I also see some of the platformspecific functions in separate files.

Is it a problem that a header file is also shipped that provides
integration with other-big-thing but 99% of developres/downstream users
don't care about and no Depends is in place? I don't think that's a
problem. I'd rather have the header available for the 1% than having to
create an extra -dev package just for that.

Debian development resources is a finite resource, so let's not waste
it.

/Sune