List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: libc6-dev have unmet dependencies in stable-bullseye
From:       Markus <debian () cloud42 ! ch>
Date:       2022-10-31 15:42:00

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

> If you used debootstrap or mmdebstrap to create your own chroot or
> container that only includes bullseye, and not bullseye-security or
> bullseye-updates, then you would get libc6 (= 2.31-13+deb11u4) in
> the chroot/container, and libc6-dev (= 2.31-13+deb11u4) would install
> successfully.
>
> However, because you're using a container image that has been made
> by someone else, what you do with that container afterwards needs to
> be consistent with the assumptions they made when they created the
> image.

The Docker example was meant so that the problem could be reproduced
quickly. I can see the same problem with the official image
debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso. Sorry for the confusion.

Step to reproduce:

1. Install Debian with debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
2. echo 'deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main' >
/etc/apt/sources.list
3. apt-get clean
4. apt-get update
5. apt-get install libc6-dev

Then I get the same message:

> libc6-dev : Depends: libc6 (= 2.31-13+deb11u4) but 2.31-13+deb11u5
> is to be installed

You write:

> That means you can't assume that an apt source for plain bullseye
> is sufficient to get a full set of matching packages.

Perhaps this is also the case for debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso. I was
not sure at that point. Maybe that was a wrong assumption I made.

Best,
Markus