List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: Summary: Git Packaging Round 2 [comments by 11/05/2019]
From:       Richard Laager <rlaager () wiktel ! com>
Date:       2019-10-30 22:53:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

This all looks very good.

Presumably the repository / Salsa project name should match the source package name? \
If so, that might be good to note, at least as the default.

I'd love to see more information about a recommended branch structure. FWIW, I've \
been using branches named for each release (e.g. "sid" is the default, but I also \
have "buster" for a (proposed) stable update, will likely soon have \
"buster-backports"). This works really well, and also scales to also having branches \
for Ubuntu (e.g. I have "bionic" and "cosmic" too due to some SRUs). It also keeps \
"master" available for the upstream master branch. This seems so obvious and \
wonderful to me, but I'm not sure how popular it is.

I'm currently maintaining my packages on GitHub, but I'm going to move them to Salsa \
shortly to follow the consensus recommendation. I'm not a DD (and not a DM either, \
though I'm finally getting around to applying). Unfortunately, this means I have the, \
IMHO obnoxious, -guest suffix on my Salsa account. I certainly don't want to create \
things under that namespace, and it's doubly painful because if I ever become a DD, \
my username would change. So I'm asking my sponsor to create projects in the debian \
namespace. Of course, that's the recommendation anyway, so the -guest might be an \
inadvertent feature because it's encouraging me to use the debian team. :) I \
understand that DMs are quite literally second-class citizens (and non-DM package \
maintainers are third-class), but I really wish that things like Salsa usernames \
didn't call that out.

If this message is threaded wrong, my apologies. While I am now, I was not subscribed \
to debian-devel at the time. I have tried to set In-Reply-To directly, but this is my \
first attempt at doing so. In these situations, I would normally download the mbox \
archive, import it, and reply to the message that way, but mbox archives are \
seemingly unavailable (at least to non-DDs?) for Debian lists.

--
Richard