List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped
From:       Adrian Bunk <bunk () debian ! org>
Date:       2018-03-30 11:21:43

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 11:39:58PM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> You still have not convinced me that I did anything wrong with the version
> number and you keep ignoring my request for propper official documentation
> how to use and not use an epoch.  Maybe you all can read between the lines
> of the policy or just magically know how this was intended.  But I can not
> read your mind and I assume the majority of regular DDs can neither.  If it
> is incorrect to start with the debian revision from scratch after an epoch,
> please document it where a regular person can easily find it, especially if
> I am not the first person to fall into this trap.  I do not consider this
> bug report a suitable place for that (one of my packages has been used
> before in an Ubuntu packaging manual to show how to report a bug and nobody
> told me about this nor the "bug" until after years somebody finally reported
> the bug, is this the plan for moon-buggy and epochs?).

There are two problems here.

The first is the use of an epoch in a situation where it shouldn't be used.

The actual "trap" is when a maintainer used an epoch in such a situation.

Once introduced in a package an epoch cannot ever be undone, so all that
can be done on that is to make it clearer that it is wrong to use an
epoch in such cases.

The second problem is about filename overlap after incorrect epoch usage.

It is important to understand that this is only relevant for cases where
an epoch was used where it shouldn't have been:
When an epoch is used as intended for a change in the upstream version
numbering scheme (e.g. from 20171224 to 1.0), there is no overlap in
version numbers.

Launchpad gave an error on that, and this is better than the silent
breakage in Debian of the assumption that no filename is ever used twice
in Debian. I would consider it a bug in dak that it doesn't know about
all versions and filenames that ever existed in Debian.

It would be wrong to document in Debian policy that skipping Debian
revisions is required in such cases, since the only case where this
second problem can happen is when a maintainer used an epoch in a
situation where it shouldn't be used (first problem).[1]

For the future it should be documented better that using an epoch is
wrong in such cases, but for past incorrect epoch usage all that can
be done is to limit the damage.

Things that cannot be undone for moon-buggy:
- the epoch
- two files moon-buggy_1.0.51-1.dsc exist in Debian,
  with different contents [2]

What can be done for moon-buggy is to use a Debian revision that doesn't
result in filenames that are duplicates with pre-epoch packages.

> Christian

cu
Adrian

[1] in theory upstream could also create such a situation with frequent
    changes in the versioning scheme, but that's not a problem in practice
[2] not in Ubuntu, where this problem was caught

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed