List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped
From:       Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox () debian ! org>
Date:       2018-03-12 11:32:17

On 16 February 2018 at 02:00, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Given that other parts of the original thread have started to repeat
> the same that has been discussed in previous referenced discussions,
> or even within this thread iteration, I've sat down and written a
> dpkg FAQ entry:
>
> <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q:_What_are_version_epochs_and_why_and_when_are_they_needed.3F>
>
> This subthread though, prompted me to come up with something new
> though. :)

BTW, the othere day, Dan Watkins and I discovered twiddle-wakka
version comparison operator in ruby, also known as pessimistic version
comparison.

For example ~> 4.0.1 in ruby means >> 4.0.1 && << 5.0.0, as in, it
limits comparison within a single series. Perhaps, we also need
something like that, to limit comparisons within a given epoch only.

I guess we could adopt twiddle-wakka like syntax [1], to negate things
as you suggest.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.

[1] making twiddle-wakka work in dpkg, differently from ruby, should
be an explicit design goal. </troll>