List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?
From:       Ben Hutchings <ben () decadent ! org ! uk>
Date:       2018-01-12 2:08:59

On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 00:11 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
[...]
> src:linux, where complete authorship information is often not easily
> available [1] and copyright ownership information is in many cases not
> available at all [2], would actually be a good litmus test for what
> requirements are workable in practice. With the Linux Foundation behind
> the kernel and lawsuits around kernel copyright already taken place,
> there should also be plenty of lawyer opinion available and implemented
> regarding what copyright information is actually required in the real
> world for (corporate) users worldwide.

It's worth noting that Linux recently gained SPDX tags indicating the
licence of (almost) every source file in Linux.  But I'm not aware of
any work to list all the copyright holders.  (The only times I've heard
people talk about tracing all the copyright holders, is in the context
of proposed relicensing.)

> A new debian/copyright for src:linux could also be a good example
> to be published together with the documentation of this policy to
> make it clear what copyright information the ftp team requires
> from non-trivial packages.
[...]

I have been meaning to look at regenerating debian/copyright based on
the SPDX tags, and possibly sending corrections upstream based on the
current content.  But that's all.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.