List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: Being part of a community and behaving
From:       Olav Vitters <olav () vitters ! nl>
Date:       2014-11-13 13:36:30

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 02:19:41PM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> I meanwhile see the systemd issue as a social problem within debian. There are
> design issues which are REALLY controversial. In the past Debian did good by
> delaying adoption of controversial technical issues e.g. devfs and waited in a
> conservative way until dust settled and there was roughly a consensus.

It has been around for multiple years across various distributions. I
don't think "waiting" is what you want? It is not by waiting things
automatically improve? At least the -devel and -vote discussions seem
low signal to noise. The more interesting stuff seems to happen in
bugreports and separate discussions.

> Sometimes this lead to better approaches to see the light e.g. udev.

> It seems we need to rush in all interesting stuff without looking forward past
> some months - Today systemd might be THE solution to some peoples problems. Is it
> tomorrow? I doubt it.

It has been talked about for at least 12 months or so, no?

Mostly curious about your view on above.
--
Regards,
Olav