List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: boot ordering and resolvconf
From:       Thomas Hood <jdthood () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-06-30 20:40:03

Helmut Grohne wrote:
> All that I am aiming for is to declare one of the following practises
> as broken:
>
>  * Treating an empty /etc/resolv.conf as a permanent error or failing
>    to discover changes in /etc/resolv.conf later on.
>  * Changing /etc/resolv.conf during startup of a local dns cache.

I think that the first one is broken.  If name service is unavailable
just after boot then that should not be treated as a permanent error.

An answer from a nameserver that a domain name does not
exist might more reasonably be treated as a permanent error,
but that is disputable. In a world where computers move among
LANs, DNS does not always look the same, so it's not unreasonable
to retry periodically even after being told NXDOMAIN.

A problem is that getaddrinfo() doesn't distinguish in its return
status between "couldn't reach a nameserver" and "nameserver
says the name doesn't exist".  Either way it returns EAI_SYSTEM
with errno=2 (ENOENT).

> > I am not aware that there is anything (except perhaps ntpd) that needs to be fixed.
>
> It is true, that ntpd can work around this issue. Still it appears like
> a bad design to treat EAI_SYSTEM as a temporary error.

Can you explain why you think that?
--
Thomas