List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions
From:       Andreas Tille <tillea () rki ! de>
Date:       2009-03-23 9:00:55

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Christian Perrier wrote:

>> What's the rationale?  So far, I was under the impression that "  * "
>
> A not very strong one, I'm afraid..:-)
>
> IIRC, we once found some reference indicating a tendency for dashed
> enumerations to be an accepted "standard" but I can't quote this.

Could you please clarify whether you mean *enumeration* (in the sense
of LaTeXs enumeration environment or HTMLs <ol>) or would you rather
mean *itemize* (in the sense of LaTeXs itemize environment or HTMLs
<ul>)?  IMHO this are things which should be handled differently.
I don't care whether a '  *' or a '  -' is finally used - it just
should be used in the same way for all descriptions.

> - they're often too long (enumerating each and every feature of the
>  software)
> - they have formatting issues (punctuation, often)
> - they have consistency issues (mixing verb sentences and noun
>  sentences for instance)

I completely agree that this should be fixed as well - but it is hard
to code such tests in a lintian check or something like this.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de