List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: adding desktop files to misc packages
From:       Steve Greenland <steveg () moregruel ! net>
Date:       2007-07-26 18:26:10

On 26-Jul-07, 04:37 (CDT), Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> I have no business into changing other environments' menus. This is why
> I suggested that we keep the Debian menu as it is for those who prefer
> it. As people seem to want to switch to the freedesktop menu given its
> superiority, I only want to ensure the GNOME menu is improved by the
> process rather than being turned into garbage.

Sigh. You're still conflating 3 issues:

1. The format that will be used by Debian packages to specify their menu
entry. I think the consensus in this thread is that the FDo format is
better and more flexible than the current Debian menu system format.
Transitioning to the FDo format is doable by coding a menu-method for
each WM/panel/whatever that does not currently support the FDo format
directly, and adjusting the menu package to prefer FDo format entries
over the current format.

2. Whether or not we can just dump the Debian menu system in favor of
the FDo system. IMPORTANT: by "Debian menu system" I mean the ability to
support the same menu entry (as specified by the package, in whatever
format we choose) in a variety of WMs, menu systems, etc. I don't think
this is acceptable to most of the participants in this thread. (Which
doesn't keep the GNOME desktop maintainers from ignoring the Debian menu
entries.)

3. The actual contents and structure of the default menu in each WM etc.
This is a matter of Policy and ENTIRELY orthogonal to issues 1 and 2.
In particular, just saying "we're going to use the FDo format now" does
nothing to prevent the kind of mess you see in the Debian menu. OTOH,
setting an acceptable policy would clean up not only the GNOME menu but
all the other menu systems.

Regards,
Steve

--