List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: Why not move Apt to a relational database
From:       Joey Schulze <joey () infodrom ! org>
Date:       2007-06-03 10:22:46

Justin Emmanuel wrote:
> I am brand new to this mailing list, I joined it because I had an idea
> that I would like to have considered. Moving apt to a relational
> database, for several reasons.

Before reading on, have you considered the following:

 - using an RDB requires a running RDBMS
 - running an RDBMS requires memory and cpu usage
 - in case of an upgrade RDBMSs often dump there databases and import
   them.  What will happen when the upgrade fails during this?  No
   package database would be really bad
 - copying parts of the database to another system, or patching it
   is not as easy as it is with plain files

Regards,

	Joey

--
Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect.