List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: Reasons for recommends and suggests
From:       Kevin Mark <kevin.mark () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-05-17 23:28:33

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 07:53:07PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 11:58, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > Package: mutt
> > Suggests: ispell [adds spell cheking while composing emails]
> > Suggests: urlview [extracts urls from email and can lanuch a web browser]
> > Suggests: mixmaster [allows you to compose anonymized email]
>
> This seems like a useful idea to me. As a technical detail, I'd use '('
> and ')' because those are used for optional comments in the RFC822 format
> already.
>
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 19:22, Neil Williams wrote:
> > The only bug suitable for this scenario is a wishlist bug for a more
> > verbose manpage.
>
> It seems cumbersome to me to be presented with a list of recommends and
> suggests at install time, ignore that and finish install, read the manpage
> and then go back to the package manager to install extra packages. I'd
> rather just make that decision when I'm at the root prompt anyway.

I agree. There are different users, not all are 'programmers', some are
gui-desktop-users ( and as such should not be ignored and expect only
'programmers' to be using your programs)  and all they want to know is
<<how will this 'suggest'ed program enhance my program>>. If you are using
synaptic or aptitude and just about to select evolution to install it
and want to connect to exchange then you should not have to first know
how to install and configure an exchange server, read all its manuals,
then read all of evolutions documentation and man pages just to know
that you need to add 'evolution-exchange' to your selection on the
synaptic or aptitude screen before you install them. Also, not every
package should be required to add these descriptions as the
'programmer'-users will either already know what to install or will in
fact read all the man pages and thus find out what to install.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|