List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: TODO for etch ?
From:       Gunnar Wolf <gwolf () gwolf ! org>
Date:       2005-06-19 3:14:27

Adam Majer dijo [Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 01:15:00PM -0500]:
> > - Change boot system, to one capable of handling dependencies and
> >   parallell invocation, to speed up the boot process.
> >

> Err.. Why? The current "slow" bootup is caused mostly by hardware
> detection from my experience. Speeding up hardware detection or remove
> it in favour of manual /etc/modules entries would speed up the boot
> process a lot more than changing the boot process. If it ain't broke, do
> not fix it.

My systems have no hardware detection at all - But they start many
daemons at boot time. Probably, say, Apache and Postgres could be
started concurrently, saving some extra time.

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5623-0154
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23