List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: impolite developers... and politeness
From:       Mathieu Roy <yeupou () coleumes ! org>
Date:       2004-05-04 11:09:30

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 2 May 2004 07:18:38 +0200, Ingo Juergensmann <ij@2004.bluespice.org> said:
>>
>>> Discussing how to ignore people publically is not what I expect from
>>> adult developers of Debian. That's highly impolite and tasteless.
>>
>> 	Why is it impolite to ignore people? And, I think it can show
>
> Can you read? He doesn't say ignoring people is impolite. May that be
> or not.

While you are right that Manoj misread the phrase he was replying to,
when talking about politeness, let me tell you that asking people if
they can read, suggesting that they are unable to, is definitely not
polite.

Usually, any rethorical question that suggest that the person you are
talking to is a fool are not polite. It may looks obvious, but
apparently it is not.

If you really want to avoid rudeness, they way to go is to avoid
talking about persons (Can you read = about Manoj's abilities, nothing
else).

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |