List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: Survey on Debian usage
From:       "Mgr. Peter Tuharsky" <tuharsky () misbb ! sk>
Date:       2004-04-30 13:11:38

 * Survey

 - Q: Are you a:  (note: you may choose more than one)
   A:
      [ ] Debian developer, or otherwise involved in contributing to Debian
      [ ] Free software developer
      [X] User, using Debian for: Home desktop, work desktop, thin-client terminal \
server, file, dns/dhcp, firewall/proxy, mail server _________________________  [ ] \
Other: __________________________________

 - Q: Could you please provide one or two typical episodes (whatever you feel
      like) of your life with Debian?
   A: I was new in Debian, and I couldn't get mouse working. I stuck with gpm and \
mouse didn't work. Don't know how I found hidden functions of GPM, but some of them \
were very helpful.  Then a friend suggested me a magical line: dpkg-reconfigure \
xserver-xfree86. Finally after few hours I was able to run X, although I didn't \
understand difference between Xserver 3.x and Xserver 4.x so I used 3.3.6 because the \
names at least guided me to find the right server for my videocard.  The playing with \
X server parameters was quest alone. The "utils" in emergency X desktop were useless; \
I learned that if something is wrong with X, I shouldn't bore with the way the X \
suggests me, I must shoot him down and re-run dpkg-reconfigure... instead.  The \
national keyboard sk_qwerty didn't work, not to mention switching between us and \
sk_qwerty like in Window$. I have found many very ancient howtos from the potato age, \
but it seemed that anything should work just right in Woody. But it didn't, at least \
I didn't find a way to do it.  Finally, I changed the machine and the new \
GNOME-capable one solved the problem because the GNOME has an applet to switch the \
keyboards. No, it didn't work correctly, but I learned how to change the switching \
line (setxkbmap sk_qwerty) and other settings (ISO8859-2 instead of default 8859-1, \
Czech and slovak instead of Slovak etc.) to achieve working keyboard switcher.  The \
application bars had problems with diacritics, and I googled that Woody has locales \
problem, but friend adviced again: add a line LC_ALL sk_SK to /etc/profiles, relogin, \
and run dpkg-reconfigure locales. Yes, it worked! I selected the same things as \
during installation, but this time it worked at least!  Then he teached me, that if I \
want ISO8859-2 console displayed correctly, setting it in locales isn't enough: I \
must install the FONTY package. Yes, worked again. What could I do without the friend \
I cannot imagine.  The menu fonts of GNOME are incorrect sometimes and don't display \
diacritics correctly, but this is thing I can live with.  I learned how to add the \
needful reboot/shutdown items to GDM. Not trivial, but I was finally able to: go to \
gdm.conf, unblock the AllowRootLogin or whatever, start GNOME as root, find the GDM \
Configurator (after 5 times I remember the way) and chcek the box in System menu.  I \
needed newer Mozilla than stable 1.0.0.0. First time I downloaded .deb packages of \
1.2, but they corrupted my dependencies. After some months I started to use the \
binary installer, it works so I'm happy. OpenOffice.org -I use bnary installer, i \
rather didn't try .debs  Time goes around and I use OOo intensively. But wait, the \
fonts are all bad! Yes, OOo team recognised it as Debian error. But adviced to copy \
Window$ ttf fonts to /opt/Open.../share/fonts/truetype. Yes, the Window$ fonts work \
better than Debian ones. And the crippled fonts in OpenOffice.org menus can be easily \
corrected by ReplaceFonts option in OOo. Replace Interface User by Arial or so and \
menus have working diacritics. Smart guys those in OOo, I'm lucky they added such \
feature to OOo..  What about sound? Wanna sound? No, it dosen't play. XMMS claims \
that someone is sitting on sound device. But whos'e the alien? Finally, months later \
I found on Internet how to discover who is using /dev/audio. And the name of the guy \
is ESOUND! Kill him! Uninstall him! Finally the sound plays! I can hear music! Wow! \
Why cannot my wife? She's in audio group exactly as me, but she's not allowed to \
play. I don't know.  Wanna burn a CD? Not so quickly, man! You must learn a lot! \
First find the right combination of kernel settings. Allow SCSI emulation, allow \
SCSI-CDROM but DON't allow the ATAPI-CDROM! With fresh new kernel You're sometimes \
able to burn with XCDROASTER, Eclipt is nicer but forgets the /dev/scd0 device \
everytime and cannot find it with no root.  Wanna grab cd? CDParanoia is fine, but \
You must use another 2.6 kernel, compiled WITH ATAPI-CD support. You cannot burn \
anymore, but can grab, an it's great.  Wanna print? What print interface is good for \
me? LPD or which one of the four? After half a year I finally found howto. The guy \
bravely stated, that I should forget anything but CUPS. Great, why didn't the Debian \
manual tell me the same, I could find the way much easier. The howto is really great, \
I can print! Even I can setup the OpenOffice to print too! Mozilla dosen't play with \
me, but never mind, OOo prints and it's enough pleasure for me this time.  I'm \
skilled enough to create CANCEL-PRINTING script that deletes the cups spool \
directory. Happy with that, because I couldn't cancel printing anyhow before. I'm \
happy, because I remember the times of Window$ printing that I was unable tho cancel. \
At least one thing where Debian is equally inconvenient with Window$ 98!  Glad to \
have learned fstab parameters to make filesystems working.  I started my way to thin \
clients and was troubled by tftpd. And then some ood howto adviced -use atftpd, it's \
much better. I used and the first time in my Debian quest it was pleasure to install \
something. All configuration options were easy to set up and even more, the atftpd \
really worked!  After studying howtos for few days, I was able to set up DHCPD and \
DNS with similar ease and success!  Squid nearly worked for first try, i just must \
have compare the squid.conf with old one I found on old server and allow the access. \
Pitty that he didn't ask me during setup.  Apache was not too trivial to set up, but \
I can imagine that PHP dosen't work in the reason of avoiding lamers to set up \
Apache.
 - Q: Could you please provide one or two fantasy episodes of your life with
      Debian, if you were to make a movie or a comic strip about yourself as a
      Debian protagonist?

 - Q: What Debian distribution are you using?