List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: CUPS should be the default print service in Debian/Sarge
From:       Joe Wreschnig <piman () debian ! org>
Date:       2003-08-02 7:51:53

On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 23:31, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 02:52:04PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> > However, I am biased, as I package the GNOME CUPS packages... :)
>
> And as a random comment, it's really sad that a printing system would have
> any sort of dependency whatsoever on Gnome (or KDE, for that matter).

Which is why CUPS doesn't.

CUPS is configurable via ordinary text configuration files like most
Unix programs, a web interface (which is what I use), GNOME or KDE
frontends, probably a number of miscelleaneous toolkit frontends, too...

Personally, I'm surprised there's still people with printers who
*haven't* tried CUPS. For the vast majority of situations, it's
incredibly easier to configure, and usually more reliable about output,
than lprng.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>