List:       dccp
Subject:    Re: RFC 4342 Erratum: use Request/Response RTT
From:       Eddie Kohler <kohler () cs ! ucla ! edu>
Date:       2007-02-08 1:20:54

Hi Gerrit,

I don't actually completely understand where you're coming from.  The initial
send rate is not 1 packet per second, it is 2-4 packets per RTT, as per
RFC4342.  So the initial t_ipi is going to be s/X, where X = 2-4 packets per RTT.

If you follow the logic through RFC3448 4.2-4.4, you will see that due to this
line,

              If (t_now - tld >= R)
                  X = max(min(2*X, 2*X_recv), s/R);
                  tld = t_now;

(where tld is initialized to -1 as regards section 4.2), the sending rate X
becomes 1 packet/RTT (= s/R) as soon as a round-trip time sample is available.
  The erratum allows the implementer to sidestep all of this silliness by
simply starting at X = 2-4 packets/RTT, since the RTT sample is available
immediately.

Eddie

-