List:       dbi-dev
Subject:    ANNOUNCE: New Oracle::OCI module
From:       Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce () ig ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-26 19:07:21

I've uploaded Oracle-OCI-0.01.tar.gz to CPAN and it should appear soon
at $CPAN/authors/id/T/TI/TIMB/Oracle-OCI-0.01.tar.gz

At only 21KB it shouldn't take long to download :)

Don't forget to read the README (and, for this release, ignore the Makefile.PL)

At this early stage I'm looking for volunteers for the following tasks:

  1/ play with it and give me general feedback (inc portability etc).
  2/ rewrite the 'boot' shell script in perl.
  3/ maybe absorb the 'boot' logic into Makefile.PL
  4/ for the adventurous, try editing boot to have an
     empty skip_funcs and see what breaks (maybe much less
     these days, I've not tried recently) Let me know how it goes!

If you fancy doing 2 and maybe 3 please get in touch with me first. Thanks.

Don't dispair at the minimality of this release, life will get much
more interesting once I've released the next version of DBD::Oracle,
which'll enable you to use DBI handles instead of making your own
the hard way.

Meanwhile, I'd like you all to start discussing what areas of the
Oracle OCI you'd be most interested in being accessed and polished up.

Tim.

p.s. If you're interested and you're not on the oracle-oci mailing
list, please send email to oracle-oci-help@perl.org. I'll probably only
send this and one more announcement to dbi-announce. After that it'll
be the oracle-oci mailing list only for Oracle::OCI releated news.