List:       dbi-dev
Subject:    Segfault when trying to connect to Oracle
From:       Brady Adams <BAdams () webmiles ! com>
Date:       2001-03-20 16:50:39

OS: Solaris 8.5
DBMS: Oracle 8.1.5.0.0
Perl: 5.005_03
Perl Module: DBD-Oracle-1.06

Segmentation Fault(coredump) when trying to connect to Oracle

The following is the command in Perl that causes the error:

$dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Oracle:ORCL', 'scott', 'tiger') or die "Can't
connect to database.";

If I comment out the above line the code works fine (it does not do
anything, but it gives no compilation errors or segfaults.

I can connect to this database via sqlplus from the OS command line.

I have tried several variants of the above line, but get the same segfault
everytime.  I have also tried explicitly specifying the host and sid as
follows:

$dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Oracle:host=hostname;sid=ORCL', 'scott', 'tiger')
or die "Can't connect to database.";

Also tried including my in front of the above line as shown in some
examples:

my $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Oracle:ORCL', 'scott', 'tiger') or die "Can't
connect to database.";

I have even tried including both the name and password in the second
argument to connect():

$dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Oracle:ORCL', 'scott/tiger', '') or die "Can't
connect to database.";

I have tried all the combinations of the above variants.

Anyone know why I might be having this problem?

The complete code follows:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use lib "/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0";
use DBI;