List:       dbi-dev
Subject:    Great Database Minds
From:       James Maes <jmaes () sportingnews ! com>
Date:       2000-03-21 22:22:09

   ***  From dbi-users - To unsubscribe, see the end of this message.  ***
   *** DBI Home Page - http://www.symbolstone.org/technology/perl/DBI/ ***

Hey all, I am hoping that some of you great database minds out there
will be able to lend me a hand on this one.

Which of the following would be better suited for a simple database (1
table) with around a 1/2 to 1 million rows. That would receive 100 to
500 transactions per a minute.

the two choices here are

Oracle 8 on a Sun box ($100,000 - $150,000)
or
Informix 9.2 on a Linux/Intel ($50,000)

All of the load on the database will come from simple web queries, and
updates.

Thanks,
--

James Maes