List:       dbi-dev
Subject:    Re: Charsets (Was: cannot connect to Sybase)
From:       Peter Castine <pcastine () prz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-09-30 9:19:21

    *** From dbi-users -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

On around 29񬅥9 18:06, Michael Peppler said something like:

>I just took a look in the locales/us_english/mac directory for the
>11.0.3.3 release of Sybase on linux, and indeed some of the .loc files
>are missing (in particular the ctlib.loc file)
>
>If using the mac charset is essential for you then you should probably
>consider getting the 11.1.1 OpenClient release from
>http://linux.sybase.com (part of the 11.9.2 release). Of course this
>release is not free for production, but you can still use it for free
>for development...

Thanks for the information. I will look into the .loc files.

Mac is essential for development only because I prefer working on Macs to
any Windows variant (and even--heresy!--to Unix/X). Whether Mac charset
support in production is important is another question... I won't bore
people w/details, it's a longish story and not entirely relevant to
dbi-list. As for other version parameters: our Sybase development box was
a brand-new Caldera Linux install about 6 weeks ago with all of what was
then the latest releases. Dataserver -v says its 11.0.3.3. So that much
is as it should be.

I did try installing sqsh yesterday (as Michael suggested previously).
The results were a little strange. I got the sqsh-xxx.rpm no problem, rpm
-i did its thing no problem, sqsh -Uxxx asked for a password as expected.
And then the problem began: after logging in but without doing anything
else, sqsh started piping an interminable stream of apparently random
binary data to my terminal (initially including a lot of ^Gs). Even ^C
wouldn't stop it, I had to ^Z and kill from my shell. Ugly.

Obviously something is wrong. Probably something sufficiently simple &
stupid that no one else has seen it before.-( I will have to go and do
some friendly manual reading, but I thought I'd mention it just in case
someone feels like pointing out which section of the fine manual might be
relevant. Or, is there a sqsh list/newsgroup/faq I should look to?

Thanks for the help,

Peter

----------------- http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~pcastine/ -----------------
Dr. Peter Castine          | I am very pleased to announce that the
4-15 Music & Technology    | 26th International Computer Music Conference