List:       dbi-dev
Subject:    Simple DBI questions
From:       Liam Kirsher <liam () numenet ! com>
Date:       1997-11-28 22:46:15

    *** From dbi-users -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

Hi,

I've just started using DBI, with mSQL, and have run into something that is
puzzling to me.

DBI::neat seems to behave strangely.  I expected that single quote
characters,"'", would be escaped.  Trying to insert a string like "What's
the problem?" fails.

$str = DBI::neat("What's the problem? String too long?", 20);

Yields

'What's the problem? ...

which is obviously a problem!  The apostrophe is not escaped and there is
no ending quote after the ellipsis.

Anyway, I can work around this myself, so it's not *such* a big deal, but
it would be nice if neat() took care of it.
 ($str = $m->title()) =~ s/'/\\'/g;
 $str = DBI::neat($str,50);
 $str =~ s/\.\.\.$/\.\.\.'/;
 push (@stmt, $str);
But, when I looked for the neat subroutine in DBI.pm (and DBD.pm) I
couldn't find it anywhere, only neat_list.  There must be some kind of Perl
magic going on there.  Can anyone enlighten me?!

Liam
Liam Kirsher					Email: liam@numenet.com
Numenet, Inc.					Voice: 415-456-6822
775 E. Blithedale Ave. Suite 176	         Fax: 415-456-0599
Mill Valley, CA 94941		         URL: http://www.numenet.com
If you are without web access, or if you are having trouble with the web page,
please send mail to dbi-request@fugue.com.   Please try to use the web
page first - it will take a long time for your request to be processed by hand.