List:       dbi-dev
Subject:    ODBC, freeODBC, header files, and expensive SDK's
From:       kendall () cogit ! com (Kendall Willets)
Date:       1996-11-22 16:53:53

    *** From dbi-dev -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

Recently I have been ramping up to do some odbc (client, not driver) programming
on Solaris, and after looking at the technicalities involved, I realized that
the entire price of an ODBC SDK ($995) covers exactly two header files (sql.h
and sqlext.h) needed to compile a program before linking it to the driver
manager libraries, which come free with the Sun.

I was excited to find that iodbc has its own versions of these files, but for
some reason they don't include the prototypes for the odbc functions. These
prototypes are required for client programs, but not for iodbc code itself,
since iodbc defines but does not call each API function.

After a some deep thought I grepped the prototypes for each function from
compiler trace files and built a new header file "freeODBC.h", which allows an
ODBC program to compile and run.  In retrospect it seems obvious that someone
would produce this file, but I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere, so I
have to ask if this has already been invented, or if I'm just terribly confused.

Thanks,

Kendall

If you are without web access, or if you are having trouble with the web page,
please send mail to dbi-request@fugue.com.   Please try to use the web
page first - it will take a long time for your request to be processed by hand.