List:       dav-dev
Subject:    Re: [dav-dev] ./configure error - Sorry, no DSO support for Apache av ailable
From:       Greg Stein <gstein () lyra ! org>
Date:       2000-06-30 22:36:17

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 04:50:26PM -0500, Curry, Timothy M. wrote:
> Portion of ./configure output:
> checking for Apache module support via DSO through APXS... apxs:Error:
> Sorry, no DSO support for Apache available
> apxs:Error: under your platform. Make sure the Apache
> apxs:Error: module mod_so is compiled into your server
> apxs:Error: binary `/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd'.
> apxs:Error: Sorry, no DSO support for Apache available
> apxs:Error: under your platform. Make sure the Apache
> apxs:Error: module mod_so is compiled into your server
> apxs:Error: binary `/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd'.
> found at /usr/local/apache/bin/apxs
>
> ...and this repeats several times.  I'm assuming since I'm running FreeBSD,
> and Apache.org's ./docs/mod/ describes mod_so as "Experimental support for
> proceed?  This is a module needed for a Win32 installation?

mod_so is not experimental, despite what the docs say. It is used for .so
modules on Unix(-like) platforms, and DLLs on Windows.

Basically, the issue here is that you asked for dynamic loading of the
mod_dav module (e.g. load libdav.so at runtime into Apache), but your Apache
installation does not support it.

Either way, this means that you will need to rebuild Apache.

1) [preferred] rebuild Apache with mod_so included. This will allow you to
   build mod_dav (and others) as a dynamically loaded module. You can then
   load the thing in at runtime.

2) build mod_dav "statically" which means to link it directly into the
   Apache executable. This means rebuilding Apache, but you'll need to go
   through the same Apache rebuild whenever you want another module or want
   to update your mod_dav install.

Cheers,
-g

--