List:       dav-dev
Subject:    [dav-dev] Wildcard locations?
From:       Steve Willis <dav () stevewillis ! net>
Date:       2005-07-21 17:43:03

Hello,

This is more a general Apache question, but because I need a solution
for transferring files via WebDAV rather than a solution for redirecting
Web pages, I thought I might have better luck on this list. Other Apache
lists and forums seem to lean toward suggesting alternative methods to
basic authentication for this issue, such as a PHP login page. Of
course, this doesn't work for DAV!

I have a number of directories, one per user, where users can store
files. Each directory is named the same as the username that should have
access to it. In other words, I want to require that each directory can
only be accessed by an authenticated user with the same name. I don't
want to have to write a separate <Location> directive for each user I
add to the system in http.conf (or a new .htaccess file), so I'd like to
automate this somehow. Below is some pseudocode for how I imagine this
working. Note that "$USER" is not valid apache syntax, but is just to
explain what I'm trying to acheive:

<Location /var/files/$USER>
   DAV On

   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "File Area"
   AuthUserFile /www/passwd/users

   Require user $USER
</Location>

Is something like this possible? I'd like to achieve a level of
automation where creating new user directories under /var/files/
"magically" allows only users by the same name to access them with DAV.

Thanks,

Steve