List:       dav-dev
Subject:    RE: [dav-dev] large files, and right clicking in Explorer problem
From:       "Bennett, Tony - CNF" <Bennett.Tony () cnf ! com>
Date:       2002-04-26 14:40:54

Right clicking the mouse on a system using
what OS???

To find out what METHOD your OS (Windoze XP???)or Client
program is sending to your apache server, review Apache's
access_log file.
Here's an access_log example of "right-click/properties" on WinNT4.0
(note the line has wrapped):

  XX.YY.ZZZ.130 - - 04/26/02:14:33:06 1122017 "PROPFIND /CWX/TRB/trb25.txt
  HTTP/1.1" 207 1117

So, you see in this case the client sent Apache a "PROPFIND" method...

The PROPFIND response, only sends properties of the resource, not the
resource itself.

On NT4.0, when I press the "delete key", a PROPFIND method is sent,
followed by a DELETE method.  Again, neither of these methods copy
the file from Apache to your client.

BUT... it is possible that your client feels the need to support
an "un-do" capability (like a "Recycle Bin") and so will download
the file from the repository, prior to sending a 'DELETE' method
to the repository.

The way to find out...look in Apache's access_log.

HTH,
-tony