List:       dart
Subject:    RE: [Dart] Backend Dart database: mined/queried by other apps?
From:       "Blezek, Daniel J (GE, Research)" <blezek () crd ! ge ! com>
Date:       2006-04-03 16:04:15

Hi Matt,

  Yes, Dart2 stores most of it's small-ish data in an RDBMS.  While most \
installations are happy to use Derby, the embedded Java DB, you can fairly easily use \
any RDBMS that you like, provided it has a conformant JDBC driver (which is most \
anything).  We've really dropped working on anything other than derby as it gives the \
performance we need and makes things fairly tidy from the code standpoint.

  The way we run derby, however, is single application access only.  It is possible \
to run Derby in a full client server mode so that Dart will run, and 3rd party apps \
can also access the data.  This would mean someone would be responsible for starting \
Derby outside of Dart.  You could also switch over to Postgres, or Mysql.

  Large-ish data is stored in the project directory, gziped and referenced by it's \
MD5 hash.  This can be looked up in the database, and grabbed with a minimum of \
difficulty.

  Have a look at Schema.sql in dart/Resources/Server, it should mostly answer your \
questions about what Dart stores and how.

-dan