List:       dart
Subject:    Re: [Dart] Build and configure stages
From:       Amitha Perera <perera () cs ! rpi ! edu>
Date:       2006-01-03 19:27:31

On Thu 22 Dec 2005, Miller, James V (Research) wrote:
> I'm not sure we need to introduce the concept of "stages".  I think it
> would be enough if the build information can be submitted in multiple
> packets and rolled up together.

I agree that it's not necessary, but I think it'll be useful. That
said, and upon further reflection on my part, I think it's a bad idea
to force stages on everyone.

One way to deal with this is to allow for a build hierarchy, just as
there is a test result hierarchy, where the leaf nodes are actual
errors, and the non-leaf nodes are "stage summaries".

There may be some value, for example, in noting that

    my_file.cxx:183: foo unknown

occurred during the "make" stage and not the "make bootstrap" stage.

Amitha.