List:       darcs-users
Subject:    [darcs-users] fast darcs - some performance tips
From:       "Eric Y. Kow" <eric.kow () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-25 8:58:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all,

Just thought I might send out a couple of tips to make life with darcs
a lot more pleasant.  The key symptom is when you try to pull/push/send
patches, and darcs takes forever before even asking you what patches you
want.

1) darcs tag; darcs optimize
      Do this regularly (every 30-ish patches?).
      Keep your inventory small.

      IMPORTANT: propagate the tag and run darcs optimize on all
      repositories.

2) No improvement? Try: darcs optimize --reorder-patches
      Keep trying! There are several different plausible 'optimal'
      orders, and you can cycle through them by running darcs
      optimize --reorder-patches again and again.  Hint: look at
      the _darcs/inventory after each reorder to see what happens.

As you can see, this is not related to the infamous conflict bug, but
in either case, it can be a big help.

Hope this helps!  Please follow up with more performance tips,
corrections or testimonials.

[with thanks to Juliusz; for helping me to trim this message]

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.