List:       darcs-users
Subject:    [darcs-users] Can't create temporary file when using 'changes'
From:       "Thiago Arrais" <thiago.arrais () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-25 13:22:25

I am trying to write a Darcs reporting front-end and have stumbled
across an annoying error. Maybe I am doing something terribly wrong
here, so I am asking for your help to clarify the issue.

The idea is to use the darcs executable and parse its output to build
the reports. Here is what I am trying to run (and what I get):

------------------
$ darcs changes --xml --last=5
--repo=http://eclipsefp.sourceforge.net/repos/trunk

darcs failed:  Not a repository:
http://eclipsefp.sourceforge.net/repos/trunk (Failed to create
temporary file darcs: permission denied (Permission denied))
------------------

I have done some searching on that error, but none of the past issues
that I have found seem to be related to what I am trying to do. I also
assume that the same kind of reporter has already been built.
Therefore, I can only assume that I am using the wrong approach.

The URL /is/ a repository, despite what Darcs says. My experiments
have shown that if I try that same command-line inside a darcs repo
dir (any repo dir), everything works fine. As a workaround, an empty
repo can be created to be used as working dir for the darcs commands,
but I am looking for a cleaner solution.

Cheers,

Thiago Arrais