List:       darcs-users
Subject:    Re: [darcs-users] Recognizing harmless patches?
From:       Albert Reiner <areiner () tph ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       2005-08-31 14:16:21

[zooko@zooko.com, Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:39:44 -0300]:
> > As the specific changes caused by pulling A1 into B do not survive
> > pulling A2, A1 is, in a sense, a "harmless" patch.  In case this is
> > easy to add, it would be nice if darcs could tell me so when asking
> > whether or not to pull it.
>
> Tell you that the line changed by the file will be deleted if you also pull a
> subsequent patch?  Or what?

Tell me that the patch doesn't do anything that the other patch
doesn't obliterate.  In this case, that none of the lines changed by
A1 is left unchanged by A2.  In other cases, that would also go for,
say, an addfile in A1 and a corresponding file removal in A2.

> Are you familiar with the "x" and "v" commands while doing an
> interactive pull?

Yes, but those don't really help when the lines involved is not very
distinctive and the affected file is large.

Thanks for your reply, and best regards,

Albert.