List:       darcs-users
Subject:    [darcs-users] Re: Push vs Pull
From:       Mark Stosberg <mark () summersault ! com>
Date:       2005-08-16 1:32:17

On 2005-08-01, Jack Baty <jackbaty@gmail.com> wrote:
> We use Darcs for managing web app development and I'd like some advice
> on deployment and repository workflow.
>
> Currently, I have an /alpha web site configured and we push directly
> to it from local working copies. I then pull locally on the server
> from the /alpha to /beta, then pull locally (also on the server) from
> /beta to /live. I also push to a separate repository on our "SCM"
> machine for use with darcsweb.cgi and other tools.

This sounds a lot like what I've done:
http://mark.stosberg.com/Tech/darcs/cvs_switch/

Although I don't think I have an equivalent to your "scm" machine. I use the
alphasite also as the "central server".

> There are some cases where minor changes are recorded directly on the
> /alpha site and I've run into the occasional conflict while
> subsequently pushing to /alpha. Is conflict resolution generally
> easier during pull operations, and if so would I be better off always
> pushing to the SCM box and then _pulling_ to /alpha first instead?

Yes, I would recommend pulling, resolving conficts and then pushing.

If you have a conflict with another developer, pushing to the SCM box
first won't help. In this case, both the scm box and the alpha repo act
as a central server for you.

The reason to pull first is to resolve the conflict locally. If you push
and there is a conflict, it will either refuse to apply it, or you will
create a conflict on a central server to resolve, which means you need
to work on directly on the central repo (which should be avoideded).
Also, someone else could pull the conflict in the central repo before
you resolve it, making things worse.

I recall that CVS worked in a similiar fashion: It would mark conflicts
locally, and the resolution could be committed, avoiding conflicts in
the central server.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/