List:       darcs-users
Subject:    Re: [darcs-users] two-way sync between cvs and darcs
From:       Lele Gaifax <lele () nautilus ! homeip ! net>
Date:       2005-04-09 22:27:38

    Nathan> On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 11:47:06AM +0200, Thomas Zander
    Nathan> wrote:
    >> On Saturday 09 April 2005 11:11, Lele Gaifax wrote: > Tailor
    >> could > learn about yet another command line option to disable
    >> that, or I may > completely drop the code and assume nobody
    >> will manually update the > repo...
    >>
    >> Or; you could an a cvs up -A on the file prior to patching it.
    >> You would immediately get feedback on failure if the file
    >> actually changed (the P line being printed by cvs).  Since if
    >> you are not looking at the last version the merge would be
    >> wrong anyway since you can't put darcs changes before the
    >> changes of somebody elses cvs commit.

    Nathan> That sounds reasonable.  So if tailor was asked to update
    Nathan> a cvs repository from a darcs repository, it would call
    Nathan> 'cvs up -A' before pulling in the darcs patches, and then
    Nathan> pull and commit as normal.

Uhm, maybe I should rethink the stuff, because I'm missing the
point... or does Thomas mean that tailor should reset with -A before
update and set again afterward?

IMHO, a person who is going to maintain a two-way sync should be
expert enough to *know* that that repos must manipulated *only* by
tailor... and from this point of view, I'd be inclined to offer an
option to not force sticky tag.

Nathan, is this blocking for you? I'm short of time, and (luckily) CVS
pressure is (slowly) fading away, so I won't be working on this very
soon...

bye, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.