List:       darcs-users
Subject:    [darcs-users] Re: get/pull/push
From:       Ashley Yakeley <ashley () semantic ! org>
Date:       2005-02-25 0:59:56

In article <20050224094740.GA6310@factotummedia.nl>,
 Thomas Zander <TZander@factotummedia.nl> wrote:

> > As I understand it, "darcs get" is only valid if you don't have a
> > repository locally, while "darcs pull" is only valid if you do have one.
> > Why not merge the two commands?
>
> For the same reason cvs checkout and cvs update are not merged; as well as
> with svn's equivalent commands.

The difference is that "cvs update" doesn't allow you to specify a
remote repository.

I appreciate that it may not be appropriate to silently and
unpredictably create new repositories, so perhaps prompting would be
more appropriate. Right now, if you call "pull" in a directory without a
repository, this happens:

  $ darcs pull "http://www.abridgegame.org/repos/darcs/"

  darcs failed:  Unable to "darcs pull" here.

  You need to be in a repository directory to run this command.

Consider changing this to:

  $ darcs pull "http://www.abridgegame.org/repos/darcs/"
  Not in a repository. Create a new one? [Yn] y
  Welcome to the darcs darcs repository!

  This is the stable release branch.
  etc.

This is a conservative change as it only changes an existing error state
and it prompts you before doing anything different.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA