List:       darcs-users
Subject:    Re: [darcs-users] [OT] Larry McVoy on the Bitkeeper licence
From:       David Roundy <droundy () abridgegame ! org>
Date:       2005-02-16 13:42:05

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:31:01PM +0100, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:

> > > What he's afraid of is someone producing a free alternative to BK.
> > > What better way to remove thousands of free software programmers from
> > > the pool of potential Darcs and Arch hackers?
> >
> > Ironically, if it weren't for the exorbitant licensing requirements,
> > we'd probably all be using BK now.  (Well, at least there's a fair
> > chance that I would.)
>
> I think I would still rather use darcs :)
>
> Unless what you want to say is that there would be no darcs if BK had
> other licensing conditions? I don't think so. David?

If BK had been free software, I'm sure I would have tried it, and if I had
liked it (which probably would have been the case--I didn't start out as a
connoisseur of SCM systems), I definitely wouldn't have created darcs.  As
it was, I tried arch instead (after being dissatisfied with cvs), and it
was only after using arch for a while and getting frustrated with it that I
decided to work on darcs.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net