List:       darcs-users
Subject:    Re: [darcs-users] Re: Onto which other patches does a patch depend?
From:       Erik_Bågfors <zindar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-01-04 14:51:28

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:18:11 +0000 (UTC), Mark Stosberg
<mark@summersault.com> wrote:
> On 2005-01-04, Erik Bågfors <zindar@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This if one of the problems I'm having with darcs, it's hard to know
> > when a patch depends on another.
>
> Here's another perspective:
>
>  The darcs alternatives that I'm aware of don't allow you to unpull
> patches. That's how they solve the problem. :)

That's one way :)

In fact, it works for "pull" (as I wrote in the last mail) and that's
the most important thing.

> darcs also has a solution more like these other systems: 'rollback',
> which keeps the old patch and applies the inverse of it.
>
> I haven't checked how rollback works in relation to patch dependencies.

Well, if you rollback a patch you can't unroll a patch that depended
on that patch, you need to rollback it as well..

: [bagfors@zyrgelkwytng]$ ; darcs rollback

Tue Jan  4 13:34:17 CET 2005  e@e.se
  * testtest
Shall I rollback this patch? [yNvq?] n

Tue Jan  4 13:34:23 CET 2005  e@e.se
  * depend on backup
Shall I rollback this patch? [yNvq?] y
Finished rolling back.

#[Tue Jan 04 15:39:43]:~/tmp/a/a_0
: [bagfors@zyrgelkwytng]$ ; darcs rollback

Tue Jan  4 13:34:23 CET 2005  e@e.se
  UNDO: depend on backup
Shall I rollback this patch? [yNvq?] n

Tue Jan  4 13:34:17 CET 2005  e@e.se
  * testtest
Shall I rollback this patch? [yNvq?] n

Skipping depended-upon patch:
Tue Jan  4 13:34:23 CET 2005  e@e.se
  * depend on backup

In fact, I find this to be sane, since you normally only want to use
rollback on a patch that is shared with other people already, and then
I think you also want to use rollback for the patch that depends on
it.  Otherwise you get a really strange situation.

Regards,
Erik