List:       darcs-users
Subject:    Re: [darcs-users] locking bug
From:       David Roundy <droundy () abridgegame ! org>
Date:       2004-07-08 15:19:52

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:33:51AM +0200, Martin Schaffner wrote:
> >MS> Your suggestion to do DARCS_SLOPPY_LOCKS=1 helped...
> >MS> ^CCouldn't get lock /Users/martin/darcs/_darcs/lock
> >
> >This should have been fixed on June 24th.  If it wasn't, yell.
>
> On Mac OS X, if the current working directory is a Windows volume mounted
> via SMB, then there is the following problem:
>
> $ darcs get http://abridgegame.org/repos/darcs
>
> Fail: takeLock: unsupported operation (Operation not supported)
>
> The DARCS_SLOPPY_LOCKS=1 workaround helps here too...

I think I may have worked around this, if you can build a latest version of
darcs.  The relevant change starts "perhaps work around macos".  It seems
that MacOS returns an errno of EOPNOTSUPP when creating a hard link on a
filesystem that doesn't support them, so I've added a check for this errno,
and if we encounter it, we revert to sloppy locking.

> Additionally, this failure leaves a half-complete darcs directory behind.

This is a problem with get in general, it doesn't clean itself up on
failure.  Perhaps I should make get remove the directory it created on
failure?
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org